Selphyl is a patented system used for the safe and rapid preparation of Platelet Rich Fibrin Matrix (PRFM), a proven technology used to correct the effects and signs of skin aging. The PRFM that is prepared with SELPHYL® PRFM is autologous, meaning it uses your natural biology. Platelets are known to contain factors which your body uses to trigger cell migration and proliferation to rejuvenate and increase skin volume. You can’t turn back the clock, but you can rewind it naturally with the SELPHYL® System.
How Does it Work?
Platelets and other blood components migrate to an injury site, releasing growth factors that repair and respond to the injury. That promotes healing, and by processing the blood and concentrating the platelet-rich plasma, we can increase your body’s ability to heal itself.
The process starts by drawing a blood sample. Your blood then goes through the Selphyl® controlled-isolation process which includes a unique operating technique to protect and preserve the platelets. That method eliminates contamination from red and white blood cells. Platelet concentration is achieved when there’s double the amount of platelet-rich plasma in the blood sample, and the resulting color is golden, similar to straw.
The platelets and plasma are then transferred in a closed system to a second vacuum tube containing tube containing a small amount of calcium chloride solution. Fibrin polymerization begins and the PRP remains liquid for approximately 10 minutes before forming PRFM.
The patient’s own PRFM is ready for use as deemed appropriate by the clinical use requirements. The entire process takes about 30 minutes to perform.
- This treatment is not recommended for those who have areas of infectious skin problems, are susceptible to hypertrophic scarring or autoimmune diseases, are anemic or on medication that can affect platelet function.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages within 48-24 hours prior to your treatment. Please avoid Red Wine one week prior to treatment.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Vioxx, etc.), Aspirin, Vitamin E, or Ginkgo Biloba one week prior to treatment. This will reduce the possible side effects of bruising and/or swelling in the treated area(s).
- Avoid products/treatments that boost metabolism (Diet pills and Endermologie) one week prior to treatment.
- Discontinue Retin-A three (3) days before and three (3) days after treatment.
- You cannot be pregnant or breastfeeding to receive this treatment.
- Patients who have a history of recurring cold soars (Herpes simplex type1) should start oral Valtrex 500 mg tablets 2 days prior to your treatment and continue for 3 days after treatment.
- If you develop a cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. prior to your appointment, you must reschedule.
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Start taking Arnica two days prior to treatment to reduce possibility of bruising.
- Eating and drinking pineapple prior to treatment will help to reduce swelling.
- After your treatment, you may experience some redness, bruising, itching and/or swelling. This should last less than seven days. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling. If the redness and/or swelling or any other reactions do not go away after seven days, please contact your physician.
- If the pain is uncomfortable, use acetaminophen (Tylenol, Atasol) following the directions on the bottle. Do not use ASA (Aspirin) as it may increase bruising at the site of injection.
- Avoid touching the treated area for six hours following the treatment. After that, you can wash the area gently.
- It is important to minimize the amount of movement in the injected area for the next 48-72 hours (minimize smoking and/or drinking from a straw). Your new implant requires time to settle.
- Sunbathing and cold outdoor activities should be avoided until the redness and/or swelling go down.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could cause a recurrence. Please speak to your physician about any medications that may minimize this recurrence.
- Avoid exercise and alcohol, especially Red wine for 24 hours after the treatment.
- Continue with Arnica for a few days post treatment to minimize bruising.
- Continue to eat pineapple after the treatment as it will help to bring down swelling.
1-3 days with injections only. Avoid massage or pressure to the treated areas for 48 hours.
You will see best results after 3-5 monthly sessions.